I first purchased my starter kit in January with the intention of using my oils to support my family’s health, but I quickly realized the benefits of these oils could reach far beyond my little home. At the time, I was teaching 2nd grade, and it was right smack in the middle of winter. There was a bug flying through our school, and I was NOT going to use my sick days on that! I started taking my diffuser into my classroom, and the rest is history!
Oils in the Classroom
There are so many ways essential oils can support learning. Peppermint aids with memory retention. Lemon and Cedarwood help ground and focus. And Brain Power and Clarity have it all in their names! As the diffuser became a staple in my classroom, I quickly discovered some of my favorite blends to use while at work:
- Thieves + RC: immune support
- Peppermint + Lemon: early morning alertness or after lunch pick me up
- Cedarwood + Joy: calming and rejuvenating (I loved this during independent reading!)
- Cedarwood + Stress Away: party days ;)
- Purification: great after recess or PE
I also wore oils to help me be a better teacher! A daily routine of Thieves helped me avoid sick days so I could be more present in the classroom. It also made a huge difference in my whole family’s response to the constant germ exposure. I loved daily using Thieves spray on my desk area as well. Joy on my wrists and neck after lunch made for a much happier afternoon for both my students and I! And NingXia Red made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in my energy and stress.
Sharing from the Classroom
Now here’s the neat part. People started noticing that my classroom “smelled amazing!” In the course of conversations, I was able to share about oils with fellow teachers. Energy? Immune support? Stress relief? Every teacher’s dream! But I didn’t start sharing oils by sending a group email saying, “I’m selling essential oils! Who wants some?” Hashtag bad plan. Sharing oils organically, authentically living out the oily lifestyle, and having relationship-centered conversations has by far been what has grown my business. At least 90% of my first 25 members enrolled because of a one-on-one conversations. Here are three ways to authentically share:
- Use your oils! Turn on that diffuser, wear that oil, and be ready to answer when people ask!
- Listen and look for needs. One of my students had been out of school for several days with a nasty bug, so I sent a sample of Thieves & Lavender home with her make-up work, attaching a little card with directions for her mom. It read something like this: “So sorry Terra has been so sick! I know that’s hard on a mama too, and I bet you’re exhausted. Rub this lavender on your feet tonight before bed. It will help make the most of the time you get to sleep!” I got an email a few days later saying she’d never slept better. She’s now a member on my team!
- Does your school have any fundraisers or silent auctions? Enter a little basket! It can be simple – a Thieves spray and a vitality oil was in my first basket. It peaks curiosity when they see your name and your generosity. And check out the bid sheet when it’s done, following up with anyone who wrote his or her name down. You never know why they were interested in the first place!
Class & Event Ideas
Now that I’ve shared with several people, I’ve also begun to host some more formal events. Here are a few ways I’ve shared with a group of people:
- Back to School class: I’ve done this one online and invited parents, teachers, and even (adult) students! Feature oils that are beneficial in the midst of the back to school craze: immune support, focus and concentration, good sleep, healthy nutrition, and more!
- Talk to your principal! This fall I’ll be visiting a school’s teacher institute to briefly share about ways to support relaxation and healthy stress levels.
- Talk to your Parent’s Club! If you’re able to donate part of your paycheck, you could host a fundraiser that benefits your school! Invite parents to come learn about health and wellness for their child and family.
When oils are an integral part of your lifestyle, it becomes simple and natural to share them! Build relationships, love on people, and listen for their needs. You can do this!
-Kelsie Zarko (#3505143)